In 2019, we at St. Cuthberts Catholic High School pledge to:
- Work with HYPE Merseyside to enhance outdoor spaces with our students through innovative workshops and delivery. We will be turning a disused space into a Vibrant outdoor learning area.
- We will create a wildlife area which will be transformed into a wildflower meadow with plants attracting pollinators, such as bees and bumblebees.
- We will select seeds to grow wild plants and flowers, such as: birds-foot trefoil (important for common blue butterfly caterpillars), common sorrel (important for small copper butterfly caterpillars), cowslip, field scabious, hoary plantain, greater and common knapweed, lady’s bedstraw, meadow buttercup, ox-eye daisy, red clover, ribwort plantain, wild carrot and yarrow.
- In the corner of the garden, we will create a bug house which will further increase the biodiversity of the meadow. We also expect more birds to be attracted by the bugs and plants.
- This will enable the space to be used as a bird-watching site with trees and bird houses. The garden will have two main trees and a set of recycled wooden bird-boxes and bird feeders.