Spotlight events are highlighted blue on the calendar. A separate calendar is maintained for Green Spaces, Habitats and Biodiversity theme.
Waste Reduction Week
More details to follow on local actions and how you can get involved……
What are the objectives?
- to raise awareness about waste reduction, product reuse and material recycling strategies,
- to highlight the work accomplished by EWWR participants,
- to mobilise and encourage citizens to concentrate on four key action themes,
- to reinforce EWWR stakeholders’ capacities by providing them with targeted communication tools and training.
What are the EWWR’s main features?
- Coordination of awareness-raising actions during one week of the year,
- Development of target-group-specific communication tools for schools, businesses, administrations/associations and citizens,
- Development and promotion of an annual Thematic Focus about one specific waste prevention topic per year,
*** This event runs through until the 8th however for calendar purposes it is shows to only show on the 3rd so as to not clog up the event calendar ***
The core of the message: 3Rs and a clean-up
The actions implemented in the EWWR are addressing the “3Rs”: Reduce waste, Reuse products, Recycle material. The “3Rs” represent the options which should be considered first when elaborating a waste management strategy.
Following the hierarchy illustrated above, reducing waste should always be the first priority. Reduce means using fewer resources in the first place and includes strict avoidance as well as reduction at source. The second-best option is to reuse products. This includes also preparation for reuse. Third priority and the last waste management option that is included in the EWWR is materials recycling.
Themes of actions